[Nepomuk] Activities protocol

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jul 14 21:57:35 CEST 2010

On July 14, 2010, todd rme wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 1:26 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> >> and this must be done in 4.5,
> >
> > only if it can be done in a way that is sensible. it won't be able to be
> > an optional thing because we can't introduce new strings in the 4.5
> > branch, so no configuration UI is possible. so if it is added, it needs
> > to absolutely work because it will not only be the default ... it won't
> > be able to be turned off.
> >
> > that said, i think it may make work well since it's an active user
> > selection to associate the window with the activity, and the window
> > won't be shown when a different activity is shown.
> >
> > what will likely end up becoming a requirement, however, is a way to show
> > windows in other activities so that a person may find "that krita window
> > i had open ..." without switching to every activity manually. that
> > sounds a bit more like something for 4.6, though.
>
> I know that hidden options are highly frowned upon, and rightly so,
> but this seems like one of the very rare situations where it might be
> considered appropriate.  It would basically be an experimental option
> that will be in a configuration dialog in the next KDE release.  The

or, it might not be configurable if it works well enough ... but i agree that
this could be a worthwhile exception to the rule for the reasons you provided.

> route I don't know whether it would better to have it enabled or
> disabled by default, though.

my gut says "enabled by default" for the reasons i outlined in my previous
email.

we could provide a javascript snippet that turns it off though.

thought: providing a list of javascript templates would be really cool in the
desktop console. *ponders*

humru othro a kohnu se