Activity identicons v 1.99 :) (post-akademy)

nuno pinheiro nuno at oxygen-icons.org
Mon Jul 12 13:05:35 CEST 2010

On Monday 12 July 2010 11:53:20 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Monday 12 July 2010, Markus Slopianka wrote:
> > On Monday 12 July 2010 11:55:50 Marco Martin wrote:
> > > unfortunately, i see that having something already done is often enough
> > > to make people not wanting to use those
> >
> > Maybe it should be easily discoverable what Activities actually are.
> >
> > Maybe I'm uninformed, but I see them as virtual desktops with individual
> > Plasmoid setups.
> > Plasma in SC 4.4 had a quirky GUI for selecting activities, but at least
> > showed thumbnails of them. In 4.5 thumbnails were replaced with random
> > patterns and I still don't see the benefit of pattern over thumbnails.
>
> the zui imo was fine as a concept, unfortunately technically qgraphicsview
> couldn't really handle it very well.
>
> we did hope performance issues could have been fixed in Qt, but this didn't
> happen, moreover there were some issues given from the fact of simply
> zooming out the scene showing how activities were actually laid out.
>
> we can also try one of the two following things:
> 1) on new activities assign a random wallaper and use the thumbnail of the
> wallpaper as default activity icon
> 2) still try to to do a real thumbnail of the activity, this could be quite
> inefficient and in the current ui would be so scaled down it won't be
> recognizable (but i like having the list as a little unobtrusive bar)
>
> i guess to actually see if one of those could work, we should actually try
> one of those approaches, probably the wallpaper thumbnail would be what
> takes less effort as quick throw away code
>
> Cheers,
> Marco Martin

me realy does not care much as long as we have something that looks pretty and
is easy to recognize by the user, i proposed to do those icons because wen I
saw how our Chani chose random icons to represent them, i had my typical "your
icons look soo ugly used like that" feeling...  so I proposed
, what if i do a batch of consistent icons that a user can choose form that
don't look terribly wrong together? thumbnails can work just as well its a
mater of theming them a bit.... but we will need to prompt the user to chose a
wallpaper and chances are that he will chose the one he likes best and that is
probably not different from the one he is using now in other activities.

oxygen guy, "I make the pretty pictures"