Activity identicons v 1.99 :) (post-akademy)

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 12:53:20 CEST 2010

On Monday 12 July 2010, Markus Slopianka wrote:
> On Monday 12 July 2010 11:55:50 Marco Martin wrote:
> > unfortunately, i see that having something already done is often enough
> > to make people not wanting to use those
>
> Maybe it should be easily discoverable what Activities actually are.
>
> Maybe I'm uninformed, but I see them as virtual desktops with individual
> Plasmoid setups.
> Plasma in SC 4.4 had a quirky GUI for selecting activities, but at least
> showed thumbnails of them. In 4.5 thumbnails were replaced with random
> patterns and I still don't see the benefit of pattern over thumbnails.

the zui imo was fine as a concept, unfortunately technically qgraphicsview
couldn't really handle it very well.

we did hope performance issues could have been fixed in Qt, but this didn't
happen, moreover there were some issues given from the fact of simply zooming
out the scene showing how activities were actually laid out.

we can also try one of the two following things:
1) on new activities assign a random wallaper and use the thumbnail of the
wallpaper as default activity icon
2) still try to to do a real thumbnail of the activity, this could be quite
inefficient and in the current ui would be so scaled down it won't be
recognizable (but i like having the list as a little unobtrusive bar)

i guess to actually see if one of those could work, we should actually try one
of those approaches, probably the wallpaper thumbnail would be what takes less
effort as quick throw away code

Cheers,
Marco Martin