notifications, again :D

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 14:01:24 CET 2010

On Tuesday 26 January 2010, J Janz wrote:
>  2010/1/25 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>
>
> > so if a power management notification happens, kopete notifications are
> > silently queued up _behind_ that notification until it the critical
> > notification is dealt with.
>
> Guys,
>
> Having notifications queued (by showing just 1 at a time) seems like a good
> idea to clean up the desktop but it could bring more trouble than just that
> inconvenience.
>
> What if kopete says someone is talking to you and you were about to hit the
> action for chatting with that person and suddenly battery (or anything
> urgent else) comes along and you then actually hit the wrong deal for it?

if the mouse is already somewhere over a notification any new notification
should be queued and not displayed until the mouse leaves

> And, btw, limiting it to 3 would avoid it a bit more but wouldn't prevent
> it from happening.
>
> I think this is just a make up for the actual problem: lots of useless
> notifications by default. But, if the user decided that kopete should tell
> him/her when people change status, it means it's important to him/her, as,
> for example, it might be the way to contact a business client. So, the
> desktop shouldn't be in his/her way and, worse, prevent him to make
> something important.

this is unfortunately something that completely depends fom the apps

> The only way I see to make it better without affecting user experience is
> to make notifications use less space. Maybe icons could be smaller (so

yes, icons should be limited to around 64x64 or even 48x48 (i think right now
it's used anything is the original size of the image)

Cheers,
Marco Martin