notifications, again :D

J Janz jj at juniorjanz.net
Tue Jan 26 13:47:00 CET 2010

 2010/1/25 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>

> so if a power management notification happens, kopete notifications are
> silently queued up _behind_ that notification until it the critical
> notification is dealt with.

Guys,

Having notifications queued (by showing just 1 at a time) seems like a good
idea to clean up the desktop but it could bring more trouble than just that
inconvenience.

What if kopete says someone is talking to you and you were about to hit the
action for chatting with that person and suddenly battery (or anything
urgent else) comes along and you then actually hit the wrong deal for it?

And, btw, limiting it to 3 would avoid it a bit more but wouldn't prevent it
from happening.

I think this is just a make up for the actual problem: lots of useless
notifications by default. But, if the user decided that kopete should tell
him/her when people change status, it means it's important to him/her, as,
for example, it might be the way to contact a business client. So, the
desktop shouldn't be in his/her way and, worse, prevent him to make
something important.

The only way I see to make it better without affecting user experience is to
make notifications use less space. Maybe icons could be smaller (so kopete's
notification about someone saying "Hello" would take much room), maybe
breaking less lines, maybe getting a little bit wider, ... I'm not quite
sure yet (again, I'm trying to provide myself with kde trunk here at work,
where I only have an old gnome in ubuntu 8.04 =O -- but I'm getting there
and could be more exact) but, still, redesign notifications would be better
than avoid user from knowing what's going on.

"Eu sou a ressurreição e a vida. Quem crê em mim, ainda que morra, viverá; e
todo o que vive e crê em mim não morrerá, eternamente. Crês isto?"
O Senhor, Jesus Cristo - Jo.11:25-26