Plasma and newcomers

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Feb 15 19:25:58 CET 2010

On February 15, 2010, Sean wrote:
> I agree about the documentation, perhaps I can help here?
>
> http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma seems to be a bit..... hmm well,
> inconsistent and here are some ideas:
>
> 1. We should show the default desktop theme and wallpaper(clearly not the
> case on the website).

yes.

> 2. We should drop terms like "cashew" . What's wrong with giving things one
> clear name?

nothing, which is what we've been trying to do. the term in this case is
Toolbox.

> 3. Show images of what  you're referring to and make sure they're
> consistent looking, i.e Are using the default theme, no custom stuff here.

yes.

> 4. Don't show third part apps anywhere. We're showing people KDE SC after
> all.

yes.

so lots of agreement there. also:

* it should always refer to Plasma Desktop, never just "Plasma".
* get rid of troublemaker phrases like "there are several technical reasons
for this"; it sounds like making excuses when it should just present in a
matter of fact way what is there
* a bit on how to make Folder View the desktop activity (as part of a "how to
change your desktop activity" section) would be nice

and if you (or anyone else) can help realize the above, that'd be ++awesome;

humru othro a kohnu se