kde 4.3.>5 plasma applets battery

Riccardo Iaconelli riccardo at kde.org
Sun Feb 14 23:17:31 CET 2010

On Sunday 14 February 2010 18:55:54 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> i'm sure some of us will.
>
> some of us will also realize that you've rehashed all the arguments in
> favour  of it that have already been made in the past without a single
> additional piece of new information added, all while completely ignoring
> anything that was said against the feature.

On the contrary, I think I briefly answered to both the main points raised up
in the discussion:

 - unreliability of prevision: that's what "estimated" stands for. Even GPSs
have it and nobody complains to Garmin if they don't arrive at the precise
minute it's foreseen.

 - crowding the UI with another configuration option: it's two checkboxes
right now, so I really think this is not a problem.

Then, to quote you on an old mail:
> now, as usual, people are simply arguing for the inclusion of the feature
> without:
>
> * actually considering the psychological or other impacts of it

I'm back to the GPS example here. I don't think people mistrust their devices
because they got stuck in the traffic. In the same way, previsions for
remaining battery will be very accurate if you don't radically change what
you're doing.

For example, if I'm watching a movie, I've always found "acpi" giving me
results accurate to the 10 seconds. A similar precision will probably be
achieved if the users keeps working on his text document or openoffice
presentation while in the train. I think that even if it is on 10 minutes it's
perfectly fine for an estimate.

> * thinking almost exclusively of themselves versus the global user base

Ok, it must be me then, but of 13 people which I recently helped, or to whom I
installed KDE SC, asked me sooner or later how to know "how many minutes of
battery they have left". I agree, it's not a statistically relevant sample of
the global user base, but tells you something indeed.

> * not coming up with alternative approaches that would make it better (and
> instead just keep arguing for the same broken feature exactly as is)

I think that simply putting an "Estimate" label suffices. It tells the user
what it really is.

Please have a look at Chani's mail here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/plasma-devel@kde.org/msg05425.html
or similar ones from her in the thread, on whose I can't find your answer, or
at least it's not logged in mail-archive. She has some very good points.

Bye,
-Riccardo
Hasiti Lapé Hetep Malu Mир Wolakota Santiphap Irini Peoch שלום