kde 4.3.>5 plasma applets battery

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Sun Feb 14 23:29:47 CET 2010

Hi Timo,

Thanks for the patch. :) We have discussed adding the remaining time to the battery
config some time ago and decided to not include it there, but offer it as a hidden
config option, since we cannot reliably provide the time that's really left until the
battery runs out. You can find that discussion in the plasma list archive, so I won't
rehash what has been said about it (a lot). :)

On Saturday 13 February 2010 12:50:47 Timo Welter wrote:
> I am using kde 4.3.>5 from
> "svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/KDE/4.3/"
> on my laptop.
>
> I was not able to see the remaining time, when my laptop is on battery.
> So I "fixed" that.
>
> I hope that you, or the person, who is responsible for that, will take the
> "fix" over to "svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/KDE/4.3/", so that
> everyone can enjoy that.
>
> The "fix" is in the email attachment.

The code fix is already in 4.4, you can enable it using a hidden config option.
Here's the easiest way to do that:

- Enable "Show Charge information" in the battery's config
- Shutdown Plasma using "kquitapp plasma-desktop"
- Open ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc
- Search for the config option: "showBatteryString=true"
- add in a new line directly after that: "showRemainingTime=true"
- start plasma ("plasma-desktop")

I'm fairly sure there's also a neat way to do the same in an easy way from the
scripting console, but I don't see where I start the scripting console, maybe someone
can enlighten me, then I'll post how to do the above with plasma itself :)

sebas