kdereview: adjustable clock

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Aug 26 18:40:28 CEST 2010

On Thursday, August 26, 2010, Marco Martin wrote:
> > should be home of all addons, instead of own module, except few which
> > could be in kdebase, like for example showdekstop) than wait next ten
> > months...
>
> difference is between what is part of the "official" release ot not
> also whathas the same release/freeze cycle and what can be independent

if we had someone who was dedicated enough to do interim releases, i think
it'd be pretty cool to do more frequent releases from the feature branch of
kdeplasma-addons. they are small components which are pretty easily tested;
one release per month would be fine for kdeplasma-addons imho (though rather
disastrous for things in kdebase :). we'd still want to do releases with the
main SC, though, and that would mean branching kdeplasma-addons off for new
feature work when the SC strats going into the various freeze states. sounds
like something that would be far less painful to do with git than svn, and
lacking someone who would do the releases on a regular basis it's all a moot
point anyways.

i'd still like to see a "Plasma Approved" collection of widgets and a
"others". in fact, i'd move some of the items from kdeplasma-addons to
"others". we used to have an "others" in extragear until the BIC of libplasma
made some packagers go nuts. ;)

so, to sum, in a nice world:

* kdeplasma-addons and extragear/plasma would have a fast release cycle based
around a freeze-less branch that feeds down into branches with freezes for
release purposes

* some items in kdeplasma-addons would move into extragear

* kdeplasma-addons would consist of widgets that meet Plasma's desired quality
and design standards, extrager would be more "wild west"

* we'd have a release dude(tte) who would produce releases and manage the
release branches

we're missing git and the release person, so it's moot at this point.

humru othro a kohnu se