kdereview: adjustable clock

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 18:00:42 CEST 2010

On Thursday 26 August 2010, Emdek wrote:
> On 26-08-2010 at 17:24:43 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Thursday, August 26, 2010, Emdek wrote:
> >> Well, this is not relevant in this case, all rendering is done by
> >> WebKit,
> >> user only specifies HTML to feed it and only interactions done by applet
> >> are setting default font color, check if background should be displayed
> >> (relevant for desktop) and calculation of scale factor to make it fit.
> >> Trying to be smarter than user can cause only problems, if user mess up
> >> format then he simply can reset it to one of defaults ones and try to
> >> modify them again if he wants. :-)
> >
> > which is why i feel that adjustable clock isn't something we should ship
> > with
> > the default Plasma set: it makes a different set of compromises, non-
> > compatible with the ones Plasma does. specifically, Plasma puts
> > consistency
> > and scalability above user customization (the idea being that the user
> > should
> > not be able to break basic visual consistencies, such as content fitting
> > in a
> > panel). adjustable clock takes a different POV: it's ok if things are
> > breakable, the user is in control and we trust the user to break their
> > own
> > things or not.
> >
> > neither position is "right" in an absolute sense, but they are not
> > particularly compatible. while it's great that Plasma allows the
> > expression of
> > different sets of priorities, it would run counter to the baseline ideas
> > ship, by default, items that don't match those prorities as well.
> >
> > ergo, why i want to see adjustable clock in extragear :)
>
> Well, if too big configure ability is a problem then I can always modify
> settings interface and hide editor under some "Fine tuning" button... :-P
> Until user start to mess with custom configuration he has option to choose
> one of "verified ones", which are guaranteed to fit in theme.

i don't think config dialogs with two "levels" are a good idea in general

> Anyway, it's better to be only applet in extragear (which in my opinion

for now, but i would put a quite severe stop to new addons in the main modules
(unless it is something really necessary) otherwise it will become
unmnageable, so could not remain the only one for long

> should be home of all addons, instead of own module, except few which
> could be in kdebase, like for example showdekstop) than wait next ten
> months...

difference is between what is part of the "official" release ot not
also whathas the same release/freeze cycle and what can be independent

--
Marco Martin