kdereview: adjustable clock

Emdek emdeck at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 17:45:42 CEST 2010

On 26-08-2010 at 17:24:43 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> On Thursday, August 26, 2010, Emdek wrote:
>> Well, this is not relevant in this case, all rendering is done by
>> WebKit,
>> user only specifies HTML to feed it and only interactions done by applet
>> are setting default font color, check if background should be displayed
>> (relevant for desktop) and calculation of scale factor to make it fit.
>> Trying to be smarter than user can cause only problems, if user mess up
>> format then he simply can reset it to one of defaults ones and try to
>> modify them again if he wants. :-)
>
> which is why i feel that adjustable clock isn't something we should ship
> with
> the default Plasma set: it makes a different set of compromises, non-
> compatible with the ones Plasma does. specifically, Plasma puts
> consistency
> and scalability above user customization (the idea being that the user
> should
> not be able to break basic visual consistencies, such as content fitting
> in a
> panel). adjustable clock takes a different POV: it's ok if things are
> breakable, the user is in control and we trust the user to break their
> own
> things or not.
>
> neither position is "right" in an absolute sense, but they are not
> particularly compatible. while it's great that Plasma allows the
> expression of
> different sets of priorities, it would run counter to the baseline ideas
> ship, by default, items that don't match those prorities as well.
>
> ergo, why i want to see adjustable clock in extragear :)

Well, if too big configure ability is a problem then I can always modify
settings interface and hide editor under some "Fine tuning" button... :-P
Until user start to mess with custom configuration he has option to choose
one of "verified ones", which are guaranteed to fit in theme.

Anyway, it's better to be only applet in extragear (which in my opinion
should be home of all addons, instead of own module, except few which
could be in kdebase, like for example showdekstop) than wait next ten
months...

--
Best regards,
Michal