Reviewing Plasma themes

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Apr 12 16:39:08 CEST 2010

nuno already addressed the themes issues...

On April 12, 2010, Aleksey Alekseyev wrote:
> 2. Plasma is still unstable. I had more than a dozen crashes of Plasma and
> KWin.

backtraces?

if they are crashes in KPixmapCache, don't even bother. those are well known
issues and should be fixed in trunk thanks to work done by Michae Pyne. given
that you were switching themes a lot and note that kwin was also crashing, i'm
guessing that at least some of the crashes you experienced where there?

> 3. Widgets are clumsy. Arranging them took some time and made whish to
> punch my monitor, because widgets tend to jump back after I resized
> and/or moved them. This again is not as annoying when you don't have
> so many widgets, but it's something that you might to want to look at.
> Folder View is exceptionally cunning: if I move/resize it, and then
> restart Plasma, it tends to move back where it was before I moved it.

this would be the layout system in the default Desktop containment. the author
of the layout has been threatening an update to the layout system for a while
now. in any case, it tries to keep widgets from overlapping and from escaping
out of the screen. there's a GSoC proposal or two for project to improve the
layouting as well; we'll see if any gets approved.

> 4. I hate new widget explorer. It has so many usability problems, I
> could write another lengthy rant about it.

you'd likely end up observing issues we already know about and are working on.
you could also offer useful, constructive feedback. not much to say,
otherwise.

> Please go back to the old "add widgets" dialog

this is not going to happen. just like so many other things we started on that
people said "oh no, go back, go back!" to only to be shown in the long run
that the direction we took was ultimately better.

(e.g. icons on the desktop.)

humru othro a kohnu se