Reviewing Plasma themes

Aleksey Alekseyev gotletter at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 17:57:24 CEST 2010

> backtraces?

Plasma mostly just silently restarted. Also I am not sure if I had
debug information at the moment (I do have it now though)

> you'd likely end up observing issues we already know about and are working on.
> you could also offer useful, constructive feedback. not much to say,
> otherwise.

All right, I'll try to be constructive.

Two main elements of Widget explorer is the list of categories and the
list of widgets.

The primary problem with categories is there are quite a lot of them,
and presenting a very long list in a horizontal "strip" is bad,
because you have to scroll a lot (especially with how scrolling that
list is handled in 4.4) and you can't scan it at a glance. Having so
many categories and making it hard to explore and navigate the list of
them defeats their purpose

The list of widgets makes in its current form makes it hard to both
explore the widgets you have and finding one particular widget you
need at the moment. Exploring the widgets is inconvenient, because you
have to mouse-over every one of them to read what they are doing.
Finding a particular widget is hard, because the icons are not always
self-explanatory (and sometimes several widgets share icons) and text
with the name of the widget is in small font (and again, sometimes you
need to re-check the description to be sure that this widget is the
one you're looking for) and gets clipped for long names..

Just yesterday I spent several minutes looking for widget which helps
me post images/texts to the internet. It wasn't in "Internet and
services" category, its icon didn't catch my eye and scanning widgets
by their names is not possible with current layout. Finally I started
thinking "Wait, how is the site I post text to is called... yes,
pastebin!", then typed "pastebin" in the search box and finally found
the widget I needed

> (e.g. icons on the desktop.)

Hey, I don't like icons on desktop either (though their absence is
very confusing for those who switch to KDE)

I like where you're going with Plasma and the concept of activities
and I'm trying to do my best in telling Russian-speaking users about
new developments.