Ayatana notifications for Plasma

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Sep 29 14:26:41 CEST 2009

Hey Aurélien,

On Tuesday 29 September 2009 10:52:55 Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > On Monday 28 September 2009 17:01:34 Roderick B. Greening wrote:
> >>   I wonder if it would be worthwhile for Sebastian and Aurelien to get
> >>  together  and chat offline. I see some opportunity for clarification in
> >> a one-on-one via irc, etc.
> >
> > Not sure, it sounds like you see personal issues between me and Aurelien.
> > I don't. (And I hope Aurelien doesn't either.)
>
> I certainly don't have any personal issue with you or any other Plasma dev.

Good to have this confirmed. Hugs :)

> > Not that I like the current situation with
> > patches that won't be accepted because of different design direction, but
> > to me there's a fundamental difference between Aurelien as a KDE hacker
> > and Aurelien as an Ayatana ambassador.
>
> Heh, sometimes I feel like I am suffering from multiple personality
> disorder :)

I can very well understand that. :/

> >> I believe we had some great discussions at UDS and Sebastian was awesome
> >>  at  helping provide guidance to Aurelien at the time. However, it's
> >>  possible that over the last 6 months we may have gotten a little off
> >> track and we have some opportunity to move this forward in a way
> >> desirable to all parties. Or at least, if we cannot make major changes
> >> for this release, we can try to minimize any confusion through direction
> >> from Sebastion, and look towards doing this differently via USD Lucid
> >> and 10.04 release in 6 months time...
> >
> > At UDS, we've discussed doing things in a way that KDE can benefit from
> > work being done by Canonical. I would have hoped that this way, we get
> > things like queueing, prioritizing of notifications and improved layout /
> > display into Plasma upstream (and there's surely room for that). That
> > hasn't happened yet, and I hope it still will.
>
> I could probably have spent time trying to get some of the concepts you
> mentioned integrated to Plasma. I confess I didn't try because I was
> afraid all of this would be perceived as a sneaky way to move KDE
> notifications toward Ayatana notifications.

I think that would actually be a good way forward. Most of the ideas the Ayatana team
has WRT notifications are no-brainers IMO. (Streamlined display / layout of the
notifications, the stuff that determines how long to show one (current Plasma still
doesn't get this right, I often miss the second half of my quassel notifications,
queueing (we have very bad bugs when an app goes nuts and stacks 20 notifications on
top of each other).

All things that would greatly benefit Plasma without diverting from its design
concepts.

--
sebas