Ayatana notifications for Plasma

Aurélien Gâteau aurelien.gateau at canonical.com
Tue Sep 29 10:34:19 CEST 2009

Sebastian Kügler wrote:
>> Regarding implementing it as a separate applet: I don't think it would
>> have been a good idea because you would have to either add a dumb icon
>> to your panel so that you could run this system, or add an invisible
>> applet (not handy for the user to manipulate).
>
> That's what you have the config option for. (it's the same in terms of manipulation
> right now).

I don't understand what you mean.

>> Keep in mind that the
>> binary is started on demand, so it does not take any memory if you are
>> not using it (assuming it would automatically stop itself after a while).
>
> Same goes for applets, dataengines...

Can an applet unload itself from memory? What I meant with "stop itself
after a while", was the notify-osd executable calling exit(). I believe
your desktop would be a bit too clean if an applet called exit() :).

>> The alternative of using a kded module could have been a good idea, but
>> it would have required the creation of a kcm to configure the system.
>> Such kcm would have had to tweak Plasma system tray settings behind its
>> back, which could have been a problem to get on the fly changes. It
>> would have at least needed to patch the applet to tell it to stop
>> listening on dbus.
>
> You could just as well manipulate the kded module's config from the systray's config
> dialog.

True, but in both cases it would have needed a patch.
Offtopic: it's too bad Plasma does not have a DBus call to reload its
config. Could be handy when going from one distro release to another
(/me thinks about the switch between knetworkmanager the executable and
knetworkmanager the plasmoid). I'll try to implement this if I find time.

Aurelien