Ayatana notifications for Plasma

Aurélien Gâteau aurelien.gateau at canonical.com
Thu Sep 24 09:16:25 CEST 2009

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On September 23, 2009, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
>> Aaron J. Seigo a écrit :
>>> unless i'm misremembering things, this is also what i suggested to the
>>> people working on this when the Ayatana notifications design was first
>>> announced.
>> My first implementation was doing exactly this. But I was told (by a
>> Plasma dev) it was not a good idea.
>
> what i'm pretty sure i said (could be wrong, was a # of months ago) was that
> the option in the system tray could be defaulted very easily to "off" and the
> new style of notifications could run separate from it.

That was how it was implemented: I splitted notify-osd into a library
storing all the logic, and a notify-osd-gtk doing the gtk/cairo
rendering. I then implemented a KDE version using Plasma. (You were not
the one telling me it was not a good idea, Sebas did)

> it could make sense to
> share the notifications DataEngine, depending on how that part was written,
> but modifications to the systray widget should not have been necessary. i
> pointed out (i think to Bo?) that the systray was designed to easily "get out
> of the way" of notifications and that one could watch for the notifications
> host dbus service becoming available.

Bo left Canonical a long time ago. We talked briefly about stuff he was
working on when he left and I don't remember us talking about this.

Aurelien