Ayatana notifications for Plasma

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Sep 24 02:08:35 CEST 2009

On September 23, 2009, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> Aaron J. Seigo a écrit :
> > On September 23, 2009, Marco Martin wrote:
> >> every other consideration aside, i feel that it would have been -far-
> >>  easier to mantain if the systray patch just consisted in notifications
> >>  disabling and provide a totally separate daemon for that kind of
> >>  notifications
> >
> > unless i'm misremembering things, this is also what i suggested to the
> > people working on this when the Ayatana notifications design was first
> > announced.
>
> My first implementation was doing exactly this. But I was told (by a
> Plasma dev) it was not a good idea.

what i'm pretty sure i said (could be wrong, was a # of months ago) was that
the option in the system tray could be defaulted very easily to "off" and the
new style of notifications could run separate from it. it could make sense to
share the notifications DataEngine, depending on how that part was written,
but modifications to the systray widget should not have been necessary. i
pointed out (i think to Bo?) that the systray was designed to easily "get out
of the way" of notifications and that one could watch for the notifications
host dbus service becoming available.

humru othro a kohnu se