Ayatana notifications for Plasma

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Sep 25 17:47:05 CEST 2009

On Thursday 24 September 2009 09:16:25 Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> >> My first implementation was doing exactly this. But I was told (by a
> >> Plasma dev) it was not a good idea.
> >
> > what i'm pretty sure i said (could be wrong, was a # of months ago) was
> > that the option in the system tray could be defaulted very easily to
> > "off" and the new style of notifications could run separate from it.
>
> That was how it was implemented: I splitted notify-osd into a library
> storing all the logic, and a notify-osd-gtk doing the gtk/cairo
> rendering. I then implemented a KDE version using Plasma. (You were not
> the one telling me it was not a good idea, Sebas did)

Huh? I pointed out in May during UDS already that you just want to hook in an applet
that does the notifications the Ayatana way, and default the systray notifications to
off.

It is not a 100% clear from the spec that has been written as result of those
meetings ( https://wiki.kubuntu.org/KubuntuKarmicAyatana ), but I'm 100% sure I told
you and other people from your team (David, Rick) that Ayatana can be done without
upstream code changes, just adding an extra applet.

--
sebas