Now Playing & Urls

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Sep 18 19:04:22 CEST 2009

On September 17, 2009, Alex Merry wrote:
> On Thursday 17 September 2009 18:05:59 you wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Not all script engines (e.g. webkit) can use QPixmap from the data and
> > sometimes file path is useful (if artwork is not set I would like to show
> >  jpg from the same dir). This patch adds Url & ArtUrl fields to data. Ok
> > to commit or should I find another solution?
>
> Well, the only thing that concerns me is that if the widget and engine are
>  on different machines (which is entirely possible, since one of the GSoC
>  projects was to allow just that), the URLs will not be valid for the
>  widget.

that's correct; paths that are not reachable over the network are not ok if
the widget is expected to be able to work over the network at all.

one way to work around this would be to implement a system that lets one open
files using KIO via either the DataEngine or AccessManager which would handle
where to open the file from.

but if this really is just to work around webkit not being able to access
pixmap data, that's really something certainly can be worked around in the
webkit script engine.

> Perhaps a note in the help text that the URLs are only valid if the applet
>  and engine are running as the same user on the same machine?

which means applets would need to check this, but to them the process is 100%
transparent.

humru othro a kohnu se