Adjustable Clock, Spell Check and Window List applets moved to kdereview

Emdek emdeck at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 16:53:41 CEST 2009

On 09-10-2009 at 22:05:03 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> On October 9, 2009, Emdek wrote:
>> On 09-10-2009 at 20:19:40 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
>> > right clicking is "well known" to trigger a context menu, but other
>> than
>> > that
>> > special behaviour we try not to overload mouse button clicks with
>> various
>> > behaviours. the reason is that these behaviours are not discoverable
>> and
>> > end
>> > up with items requiring multi-button mice. fingers tend to only have
>> one
>> > button. ;)
>>
>> Sure. ;-)
>>
>> But multi button mouses are something normal (and these with middle
>> button
>> are something typical for at least five years)
>
> that's fine; the issue is that when the buttons do different things in
> different places it means people have to form complex mental models of
> what
> causes which action where. this is something people on average suck at.
>
> right click works because it's really consistent. right click -> menu.
>
> add to this that the click behaviours are almost completely
> non-discoverable
> until you try them. a lot of people still don't know what middle
> clicking on a
> link in a web browser can do :)

But we can't forget about that group of users that wants do a bit more
advanced things and finds use of for example middle mouse button as
something handy. ;-)

By the way, is it possible to have documentation (handbook) for users for
applets?
There could be placed information about these invisible features.

>> and we already have some
>> signals in API that propagate information about clicks done using other
>> buttons (for example for tool tip previews).
>
> yes. i'm still not overly happy about that, btw. it's a direct fix to an
> obvious use case. i keep wondering if we couldn't do it more like how we
> do
> the new system tray, though, with some "semantic" information like
> "primary",
> "secondary" and "wheel".

I'm not sure if it is really needed and won't make some things more
complicated to some "fresh" programmers.