Adjustable Clock, Spell Check and Window List applets moved to kdereview

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Oct 9 22:05:03 CEST 2009

On October 9, 2009, Emdek wrote:
> On 09-10-2009 at 20:19:40 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> > right clicking is "well known" to trigger a context menu, but other than
> > that
> > special behaviour we try not to overload mouse button clicks with various
> > behaviours. the reason is that these behaviours are not discoverable and
> > end
> > up with items requiring multi-button mice. fingers tend to only have one
> > button. ;)
>
> Sure. ;-)
>
> But multi button mouses are something normal (and these with middle button
> are something typical for at least five years)

that's fine; the issue is that when the buttons do different things in
different places it means people have to form complex mental models of what
causes which action where. this is something people on average suck at.

right click works because it's really consistent. right click -> menu.

add to this that the click behaviours are almost completely non-discoverable
until you try them. a lot of people still don't know what middle clicking on a
link in a web browser can do :)

> and we already have some
> signals in API that propagate information about clicks done using other
> buttons (for example for tool tip previews).

yes. i'm still not overly happy about that, btw. it's a direct fix to an
obvious use case. i keep wondering if we couldn't do it more like how we do
the new system tray, though, with some "semantic" information like "primary",
"secondary" and "wheel".

humru othro a kohnu se