Adjustable Clock, Spell Check and Window List applets moved to kdereview

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Oct 11 20:55:45 CEST 2009

On October 10, 2009, Emdek wrote:
> On 09-10-2009 at 22:05:03 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> than

> >> various

> >> and

> >> one

> >> Sure. ;-)
> >>
> >> But multi button mouses are something normal (and these with middle
> >> button
> >> are something typical for at least five years)
> >
> > that's fine; the issue is that when the buttons do different things in
> > different places it means people have to form complex mental models of
> > what
> > causes which action where. this is something people on average suck at.
> >
> > right click works because it's really consistent. right click -> menu.
> >
> > add to this that the click behaviours are almost completely
> > non-discoverable
> > until you try them. a lot of people still don't know what middle
> > clicking on a
> > link in a web browser can do :)
>
> But we can't forget about that group of users that wants do a bit more
> advanced things and finds use of for example middle mouse button as
> something handy. ;-)

there are a small # of such people. they are the overwhelming minority,
however. catering to them instead of trying to make things work well using
non-advanced interaction techniques usually works out better.

and as apple has shown time and again, even advanced users actually appreciate
that approach as well.

iow, this "advanced things that advanced users like" idea is largely a myth.

> By the way, is it possible to have documentation (handbook) for users for
> applets?

yes; we don't have a way to get to it from the widget itself, however.
something that needs to be added still.

> There could be placed information about these invisible features.

while a good idea, we should be aware that rather few people read such
documentation very thoroughly.

> >> and we already have some
> >> signals in API that propagate information about clicks done using other
> >> buttons (for example for tool tip previews).
> >
> > yes. i'm still not overly happy about that, btw. it's a direct fix to an
> > obvious use case. i keep wondering if we couldn't do it more like how we
> > do
> > the new system tray, though, with some "semantic" information like
> > "primary",
> > "secondary" and "wheel".
>
> I'm not sure if it is really needed and won't make some things more
> complicated to some "fresh" programmers.

assuming these programmers can tie their own shoes in the morning and do other
such complex tasks, i doubt "primary action" will confuse anyone.

humru othro a kohnu se