Adjustable Clock, Spell Check and Window List applets moved to kdereview

Emdek emdeck at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 20:07:43 CEST 2009

On 09-10-2009 at 19:28:57 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> On October 9, 2009, you wrote:
>> Option to disable background painting is different story. The problem is
>> that some formats looks better without it. Maybe it could be at least
>> hidden option?
>
> would it be possible to use a directive in the clock display definition
> text
> to control this? that would seem more natural and would avoid the
> slippery
> slope of having checkboxes to turn backgrounds on/off. backgrounds really
> ought to be in the hands of the containment.

Yes, I was thinking about something like this but I haven't idea how it
could be done to best integrate with HTML and CSS rules.
But now I've found one possibility that should look logical to users.
It could be done by setting property background or background-image to
none for most top level tag, for example (Plain theme):

margin:5px; background: none;">%H:%M</div>

Then it could be checked once (on init or change of format) using regular
expression if that property was set.
To make it easier to find I could add "theme" that uses this property.
Maybe someone has better idea?

>> And how it could be named? I've chosen this name because I wanted to
>> have
>> clock that could be adjusted as much as possible (but not too much). ;-)
>
> sure; it's just that "adjustable" doesn't say what can be adjusted. in
> this
> case it's the look of the clock. it really doesn't help that in English
> "adjust a clock" means to set the time ;)
>
> nothing is coming to me at the moment, though. perhaps someone else will
> have
> an idea or it will hit me in the shower in the days to come ... this can
> be
> changed (or not) whenever, though; it's not a time critical thing.

Sure, if someone has idea for better name it can be discussed here or on
IRC. :-)

>> > sense to pick whatever is on the selection clipboard rather than the
>> > copy/paste clipboard? this would allow one to just highlight some text
>> > and
>> > then hit the spell check button. copy/paste would still be easily
>> > possible
>> > with ctrl+v.
>>
>> Yes, it is good idea.
>> It could check if there is selection in clipboard and if not then try to
>> find copied text (backward compatibility).
>
> sounds good

There is one problem, once selected text stays in clipboard also after
removing selection, it is changed only when we select something new...
I've added kind of workaround, middle click forces to use copied text (it
is sometimes useful and doesn't add new option), is that OK for you?
By the waymaybe it is good idea to add to Plasma::IconWidget support for
using middle (and maybe right) click with it and emit additional clicked
signal with pressed button as parameter?

>> > what is the use case for the useArrowIcon hidden config item? and if
>> it
>> > is to
>> > remain, it will need to be adjusted in a constraintsEvent
>> implementation
>> > on
>> > LocationConstraint changes.
>>
>> That option was added because many users wanted to have "old style" icon
>> (like in KDE 3.5).
>> If you want, I can simply remove it or add that improvement.
>
> i don't see why it would need to be pixel-exact with 3.5. the up arrow
> was
> never exactly obviously, to say the least. i'd say just remove it.

OK, if someone will complain it can be always readded later. ;-)