New devicenotifier moved to kdereview

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Sun Oct 4 23:35:27 CEST 2009

On Sunday 04 October 2009 18:52:34 Giulio Camuffo wrote:
> 2009/10/4 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>
>
> On October 4, 2009, Jacopo De Simoi wrote:
> >  now, we believe that it is ready for merging into trunk. Of course we
> > need
> >
>  >  your feedback first, so grab it, try it out and tell us what you think!
>
> i still don't see the need for either of the popup control options. why
>  should we care how long it pops up?
>
>  i can think of two use cases for the "show pop up when device is
>  inserted":
>
>  a) the user simply doesn't want that behaviour but still wants access to
>  their devices
>
>  b) the user has set up the notifier to not display some devices and so
>  doesn't want it popping up when those devices are inserted
>
>  (b) is probably easily done by simply not popping up the window if the
>  device is hidden in it.
>
> if the device inserted is hidden the popup doesn't show up, it doesn't
>  matter if that option is enabled or not. so the usecase behind that option
>  was (a).
>  so the question is "is (a) worth supporting?" personally, i don't think
>  so. the point of this thing is as a device *notifier*. it's not just a
>  device *lister*.
>
> but in the real world the main point of this applet is to access the
>  devices, because if i insert a cd or a usb drive i don't need the computer
>  to tell me that i inserted it, i already know that!

Personally, when inserting a cd or usb stick, I always wait for the device notifier
to tell me when the device has "settled", i.e. when I can start accessing it. That's
often a couple of seconds. I hardly know any case where this device notifier shows up
out of the blue even (I don't have people sneak around me and inserting usb sticks
into my computer ;-)).
--
sebas