New devicenotifier moved to kdereview

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Oct 4 20:57:11 CEST 2009

On October 4, 2009, Jacopo De Simoi wrote:
>  now, we believe that it is ready for merging into trunk. Of course we need
>  your feedback first, so grab it, try it out and tell us what you think!

with options out of the way :) some thoughts on the plasmoid itself:

* it still says "Devices recently plugged in:" when there are no devices
listed. that's always seemed a bit odd. it should probably be replaced with an
applicable label and the divider line removed in that case

* i really like how it's one click for one action, click to expand for the
multi action case. it just feels "right" now .. nicely done! :)

* when an item is expanded, should the background remain painted? it might
make it more evident that the item is "open", and it would also allow a way to
solve the next point, too. (and if the background remains, perhaps the
capacity bar should too?)

* each DeviceItem gets its own ItemBackground in case it has multiple actions.
it would be nice if they could share the one ItemBackground between them as
only one at a time can be shown anyways so anything more seems like a waste;
it would also allow the hover effect to track with the mouse more effectively
when there are multiple DeviceItems in the list. if the background remains
painted on open devices, then the item created by NotifierDialog could be
shared by all the items rather easily.

* when there is more than one action, and an action is selection, perhaps the
device item should collapse back to closed. this does two things: it gives
some immediate feedback that an action was selected, it saves a second click
needed to collapse the item again. the assumption here is that the click
action is almost always needed once, which seems to fit the use cases pretty
clearly. for a single device item this might not matter, but if there are
multiple devices this could help avoid having to scroll more than needed or
click around a lot.

* in DeviceItem there is this line:

    Plasma::IconWidget *actionItem = new Plasma::IconWidget();

where does this object get deleted?

* in NotifierDialog there is a Plasma::Label ("category") and a
Plasma::Separator ("separator") created in
NotifierDialog::searchOrCreateDeviceCategory. they are deleted in
removeDevice, but that is only called when the source from the DataEngine goes
away, the device is hidden by the user or resetDevices is called (e.g. after
configuration). it seems these will leak if the applet is simply closed

* there is another separator created in NotifierDialog::buildDialog that has
no parent.

* i committed a work around for a Qt bug that caused the capacity bar to
sometimes be shown in the wrong place (QGraphicsLayout strikes again!)

nothing too big, really, and some nice improvements over what was there.

humru othro a kohnu se