thinking ahead to 4.5: features or polish?

Artur Souza (MoRpHeUz) morpheuz at openbossa.org
Wed Nov 4 16:32:00 CET 2009

On Tuesday 03 November 2009, 20:41 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> i spent some time today thinking about challenges as well as opportunities
> that exist for our little Plasma baby who is growing up at an amazing pace.
>  [....all the mail.....]

Well, everybody else already pointed out a lot of useful things and important
points of view. Mine is pretty simple :)

I agree that probably we should *focus* on bug fixing for 4.5. The idea of
making our review process of new features more "strong" also seems nice. So
instead of a moratorium about no new features, we would have a strong policy
about new features and just those really high quality would come in.

Less bugs and less crashes would be awesome for 4.5 from a "marketing" point of
view. People will compare this release with kde 3.5 for sure and besides the
fact that I don't really care too much about this and for sure we should *not*
drive our development by this kind of input I think it would be a good message
and we would get some new users if the 4.5 release is more polished.

From my developer point of view I also think that for some "products" like
plasma-netbook the "feature moratorium" should be more flexible as it's in a
really early stage and we'll probably need to do some more work on top of it.

Personally I would like to see the open social plasmoids being more useful and
stable as I advertise a lot about them and like what they provide when they
work and I would also start with Alexis a plasma-mobile effort to get our stuff
running on nokia mobile phones at least. But I'm 100% with you regarding the
focus on bug fixing for libplasma, plasma-desktop and kdeplasma-addons.

Cheers :)

Artur Duque de Souza
openBossa
INdT - Instituto Nokia de Tecnologia