My SoK project - Plasma D-Bus API

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue May 26 18:46:19 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 26 May 2009, Ivan Čukić wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Just joking about SoK, but while we are in freeze, I'd like to start the
> discussion about D-Bus interface for plasma-desktop.
>
> >From my point of view, we should have the following:
>
>   - desktop locked state - setters / getters / signals
>   - activities
>      - current activity set/get/signal

what would the signal be for?

>      - add activity (+signal?), remove activity (+signal?)
>   - containment handling
>      - listing, adding (? + signal?), removing
>   - applets
>      - listing, adding to containment (? + signal?), removing specific
> applet - removing all applets of a certain type

i don't think the signals are necessary, but the rest if good, yes.

>   - data engines access?

this probably doesn't belong with the plasma-desktop dbus stuff (as that would
incur a runtime dependency on plasma-desktop for apps, so isn't overly
useful), but running dataengines OOP as a general thing would be an
interesting project indeed. one would hope it would make the UI a little
snappier in some cases, though it certainly would mean more CPU usage and
memory usage due to having two processes and some IPC traffic.

humru othro a kohnu se