Transparent themes without composition

Martin Gräßlin kde at martin-graesslin.com
Sun May 3 00:20:13 CEST 2009

On Sunday 03 May 2009 01:08:31 David Nolden wrote:
> Am Samstag 02 Mai 2009 17:37:00 schrieb Marco Martin:
> > > Composition is simply not an option. And for some users, it never will.
> >
> > if it never will, linux desktop has simply blatantly failed, because it
> > means it reached the maximum it can do nd no further evolution is
> > possible, so in the next years it will be left behind by operating
> > systems unaffected by those silly problems.
>
> It says _some_ users: Consider an operating system that doesn't have the
> required hardware vendor support, old hardware, bad drivers, or simply
> hardware that is not capable of doing the thing (KDE might be used on
> something else than mainstream desktop computers in future). All of these
> will be at least a part of the reality for a long time.
I very much doubt that any Linux distribution including KDE 4.3 will not
provide at least XRender compositing with *any* hardware. If you own such a
hardware you should report a bug report to X developers requesting support.

> To all the others: To me this problem is also about this simple question:
> What price do I have to pay to get a well-looking desktop?
> Do I need full composition support?
> ---> NO
> And that is why you should not require it just to deliver that.
Fake translucency is just ugly. I'm really glad it's not available any longer
in KDE 4.

> Composition is required to do nice across-window translucency effects,
> animations, etc., but not in order to make it look well.
Well it does. It's the only way to have ARGB visuals. And without ARGB no
translucency, no round borders, no blending, etc. etc.