Summer of Code - Plasma Telepathy Integration

George Goldberg grundleborg at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 17 14:20:48 CET 2009

Hi Ronny,

Good to see you getting in touch with the plasma team about this idea :)

Perhaps I can help to give a bit of context for the plasma folks here
who are not involved in Telepathy development.

The use of Decibel or Mission Control here is now an implementation
detail - the telepathy library for Qt will abstract this away - so it
needs no further discussion. Some work has taken place on the presence
plasmoid just to get it into a shape that works again (done maily by
Siraj), but thats likely all the love plasma telepathy integration
will get. Hence the suggestion that a Summer of Code project might
take this further.

>> I am particularly interested in Telepathy integration for Plasma, because I
>> am getting familiar with these technologies and understand much better the
>> concepts. I followed some recommendations George Goldberg (grundleborg) sent
>> me. Telepathy looks challenging, but I was really interesting, funny start
>> learning and reading about it.
>>
>> At first, I am going to start writing a plasmoid for presence management, be
>> able to interact with the mission control and connection managers. I tried
>> the applet and dataengine for presence that exist, but they are still in
>> development and do basic things.

If you look at what already exists, you will see an applet and
dataengine for presence, but they are very rudimentary and could
benefit from major beautifying. Also, a contact list plasmoid already
exists, which could benefit from having telepathy support added.

Its very important to have some concrete ideas about what you want to
acheive. Try to think about what *you* would find useful, and then
suggest it in this thread, and then hopefully the plasma developers
will give you feedback from their point of view.

What about something more than just presence or contact list - are
there any other cool possibilities?

>> In this summer,I want to improve considerably that work and implement the
>> things you really need for this project. Looking PDFs from FOSS conferences,
>> I see that telepathy work with these twelve things: Contact List, Chat,
>> Logging, File Transfer, Voice Call, Avatars, AIM, MSN, XMPP, SIP, ICQ, IRC.

I'm not really sure what this buzzword-bingo is all about... Again, I
would recommend that you suggest some of the ideas that you think
would be cool, as this is more likely to result in further suggestions
from the plasma team.

hope this helps,

--
George Goldberg