Plasma systray jobs default to off?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Mar 5 20:17:23 CET 2009

On Thursday 05 March 2009, Rob Scheepmaker wrote:
> On Thursday 05 March 2009 18:48:08 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Thursday 05 March 2009, Rob Scheepmaker wrote:

> > moreover, the job presentation is not _that_ bad and it can be disabled
> > if using the config dialog if they don't like it. which means it's really
> > not that big of a deal.
>
> I agree, the current presentation isn't that bad. Still there are some
> regressions, and problems. The problem is, that the config dialog doesn't
> offer those options in 4.2. That didn't make it before the freeze. Else I
> would totally agree, since it's then easy enough for the user to disable,
> if there is certain functionality they miss or if they don't 'get' the way
> the systray jobs work (the "i").

we can ask on the i18n list if we can backport those two strings.

> The way the jobs might confuse some users less, is if we don't autohide the
> popup while jobs are still in progress. That's a quite trivial patch, but
> it would steal that screen real estate permanently although the user can
> still close the popup with the "i" button. I think that might already solve
> a lot of the problems people report with the current implementation. Can we
> do such a change in behavior in a minor release though?

we can if we feel that's a good idea.

> Do you think this might be a good idea?

i think it assumes that:

* people actually care about a download in progress all the time (which i
don't agree with)

* people will easily figure out how to collapse it so it doesn't annoy them (i
also don't think the icon is clear enough in that respect; a standard bit of
UI for "collapse this popup" for passive popup plasmoids would be a nice start
there)

i personally think it makes more sense to leave it as is unless we do some
more major surgery on it. aka 4.3.

oh, something i'd *love* to see is downloads that complete pop back up so the
user gets a "this one is done!" confirmation.

> I don't want to spend a lot of time on this, but if
> there's an easy way to improve on the issues in 4.2, I think it would be
> worth it.

sure :)

humru othro a kohnu se