Plasma systray jobs default to off?

Rob Scheepmaker r.scheepmaker at student.utwente.nl
Thu Mar 5 19:32:45 CET 2009

On Thursday 05 March 2009 18:48:08 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday 05 March 2009, Rob Scheepmaker wrote:
> > I think we should, for 4.2.2 either default the display of jobs to off,
> > or find a way to fix the problems and regressions.
>
> when you try new things, it may not come out perfect on the first
> go-around. that's to be expected.
>
> but you can't really "skip to the second step", otherwise step 2 becomes
> step 1 and all you've accomplished it pushing the problem deeper into the
> future with ever diminishing results.

I agree disabling this feature is the less desirable option, and that we also
don't want to put a lot of effort into improving the usability in 4.2, but I
would prefer to have some trivial patches to improve the problems people are
having with 4.2.

> moreover, the job presentation is not _that_ bad and it can be disabled if
> using the config dialog if they don't like it. which means it's really not
> that big of a deal.

I agree, the current presentation isn't that bad. Still there are some
regressions, and problems. The problem is, that the config dialog doesn't offer
those options in 4.2. That didn't make it before the freeze. Else I would
totally agree, since it's then easy enough for the user to disable, if there
is certain functionality they miss or if they don't 'get' the way the systray
jobs work (the "i").
The way the jobs might confuse some users less, is if we don't autohide the
popup while jobs are still in progress. That's a quite trivial patch, but it
would steal that screen real estate permanently although the user can still
close the popup with the "i" button. I think that might already solve a lot of
the problems people report with the current implementation. Can we do such a
change in behavior in a minor release though? Do you think this might be a
good idea? I don't want to spend a lot of time on this, but if there's an easy
way to improve on the issues in 4.2, I think it would be worth it.