panels and popups sliding effect

Martin Gräßlin kde at martin-graesslin.com
Mon Jul 20 18:39:25 CEST 2009

Am Montag 20 Juli 2009 18:18:48 schrieb Marco Martin:
> Hi all,
> At the plasma&kwin bof at akademy one of the things we talked about was a
> new effect that can make popups and panels appear with a slide animation.
> today i decided to give it a try here is the result, it seems to work quite
> well.
great :-D
I just had a look on the code and it looks good. I will try it later on.

Some things I noticed:
 * in postPaintWindow you probably want to trigger repaints for disappearing
windows as well. And you could trigger a full repaint for the complete screen.
Well does not really matter as you set PAINT_SCREEN_WITH_TRANSFORMED_WINDOWS
 * Resetting the curve shape in each frame looks like overkill :-)
 * Do you really need the clippedRegion?
 * when the window get's closed you have to w->refWindow(). When your
animation finishes for that window you have to w->unrefWindow(). Without that
you cannot use a window which has been closed. That code only worked because
you had fade effect activated with same animation time ;-)
 * would excluding minimized windows from closing make sense? When restricting
to only Plasma dialogs it probably doesn't matter.
> Now it applies to every window and this is of course bad++, what is needed
> is some way to apply the thing only on windows we want.
> that could be the dock type and, if it's on all of popups is way too much,
> so what we need? an atom to apply on windows we need? (for us basically
> just Plasma::Dialog)
> or, a new window type? (would it be a type outside Netwm? is this
> acceptable?) anyways, how does this patch look? is on the right track?
IIRC we said that adding a special window type would be better. That one would
of course be outside netwm - nevertheless could be added to netwm later on.