Translations for Weather condition/forecast strings

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jul 8 02:19:51 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 07 July 2009, Burkhard Lück wrote:
> Am Mittwoch 08 Juli 2009 00:24:59 schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
> > Any reason you create "malformed" english messages instead correct ones?

we didn't. web services did. welcome to web 2.0, a world in which i18n isn't
thought about at all, or at least very very rarely, it seems and all sorts of
language oddities exist. it's a PITA and it's only going to become more
common.

> cause none of our devels uses the language x-test?

that's quite true. and those who use a translation but work on trunk are used
to seeing a mix of translated and non-translated so they aren't much help. ;)

i wonder what could be done to make using x-test easier? it's really a bit of
a pain to learn how the l10n module works, compile and install x-test, switch
to it as your language (and then switch back when you get tired of it ;),
update it and test with it regularly ... there must be some way to make that
more efficient and more attractive to developers?

> i18n = the second class citizen in kde

i understand it's frustrating for you, but consider this: we _all_ work on
fixing things as they come up, often things we didn't start or break in the
first place. i just did that with the microblog widget and dataengine
yesterday and today, for instance. yeah, not the best fun, but when you look
back at it all after it's done it's a great feeling of accomplishment.

on the other hand, repeating over and over that "i18n is the second class
citizen in kde", a phrase i've been hearing repeatedly recently, is an
absolutely perfect way to drive people away. just when we have people caring
enough to do things like make sure i18n is thought of first when possibly
moving to a new scm (i18n is actually ahead of the game there compared to
things like commit filter, bugzilla hooks, etc)

some of us are actually _trying_ to care about things like RTL, i18n, a11y,
usability and various other things that expand our own responsibilities and
the complexity of our work immensely. i don't want people to go back to
ignoring these important things, but that is exactly what will happen if we
build artificial barriers through our language and actions.

maybe we need an i18n dev sprint to get a bunch of the i18n people together to
improve processes, work on some of the tools we have, create better community
bonds and even vent a bit in person ;) ... but please, let's keep it positive
when we work together here, ok?

and yes, i'm serious about an i18n dev sprint. what do you think?

humru othro a kohnu se