Translations for Weather condition/forecast strings

Shawn Starr shawn.starr at rogers.com
Wed Jul 8 05:37:42 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 07 July 2009 20:59:40 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> A Dimecres 08 Juliol 2009 02:19:51, Aaron J. Seigo va escriure:
> >
> > we didn't. web services did. welcome to web 2.0, a world in which i18n
> > isn't thought about at all, or at least very very rarely, it seems and
> > all sorts of language oddities exist. it's a PITA and it's only going to
> > become more common.
>
> Hmmm, what does this have to do with malformed english texts?
>
> The code can be:
>
>   if (text == "SomeEnglishMalformedText) return i18n("Some english nice
> text")
>
> or can't it? Because after all if we are getting translations you'll be
> hardcoding the malformed texts somewhere.

Well, I could use a static QMap for each malformed string and have this
automatically matched used in a function.

myConditionStrings["thunderstorm rain hail fog"] = i18n("Thunderstorm with
rain, hail and fog");

It just means for some data sources we'll need 300 lines of this :(

If anyone has some ideas to make this easier, I'd be glad to add this code to
the ion (data provider) sources today.

Thanks,
Shawn.