Translations for Weather condition/forecast strings

Marek Laane bald at smail.ee
Wed Jul 8 01:28:11 CEST 2009

kolmapäev, 08. juuli 2009 01:57:21 kirjutas Burkhard Lück:
> Am Mittwoch 08 Juli 2009 00:24:59 schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
> > A Dimarts 07 Juliol 2009 22:43:30, Shawn Starr va escriure:
> > > I want to discuss the request for translating these strings. Right now
> > > we have around 600-650 strings for 3 weather providers
> > >
> > > An example of these is:
> > > http://www.weather.gov/xml/current_obs/weather.php
> > >
> > > These strings are not in proper sentence form. They are in this case,
> > > summary strings.  For example "Thunderstorm Light Rain Hail Fog"  in
> > > English would be "Thunderstorm with light rain, hail and fog"
> > >
> > > What is the solution? For me, I merely just display these strings. I
> > > use some of them to map to icocitizen in kde"ns.
> >
> > Hi, some comments from my side:
> >
> > Any reason you create "malformed" english messages instead correct ones?
> >
> > Can i know why you decided to change your mind after me complaining for
> > ages?
>
> cause i complained about a lot of untranslatable strings in plasma?
> now it is somehow our (my?) fault, we (me?) want to have a fully
> translatable kde?
>
> cause none of our devels uses the language x-test?
>
> about >=7 catalogs have to be renamed in branch and trunk to make plasma
> fully translatable.
>
> > Is this for 4.3 or trunk?
>
> weather applets are untranslatable in trunk and branch 4.3
>
> > Is this on kdebase or kdeplasma-addons?
>
> weather engine in kdebase, used by weather applets in kdeplasma-addons
>
> i18n = the second class citizen in kde

I very much hope if it will be done it'll be done much more understandably and
easily for translators than it was at the time of KDE3 (then, IIRC it was real
pain for languages as mine, Estonian, where we use big letters only in case of
first word of sentence (plus proper names, of course). I'd rather translate
all possible combinations one by one than try to guess what word or phrase can
be where in combined sentence (e.g. that "Thunderstorm Light Rain Hail Fog"
should be in correct Estonian "Äike, hoovihm, rahe, udu").

Marek Laane
Estonian translator
remembering the pain at the time of KDE3...