Questions about GroupManager and the lib TaskManager

Alain Boyer alainboyer at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 20:04:53 CET 2009

Matthieu Gallien wrote:
> Hello,
> I really want to find time to contribute back to KDE because I really
> appreciate all your work. So I am trying again to do some plasma related
> contributions.
> I hope to be able to find time to work on porting the tasks data engine to the
> GroupManager and other new bits of TaskManager lib.
> Is there anybody already working on that ?

I did some work on the tasks data engine a while back (adding a plasma
service to interact with the tasks). I was thinking of adding support
for the new features in libtasksmanager (essentially the grouping) but
decided against it. I figured that everything would just get too complex
for the concept of a "data engine" and with no real results. Currently I
know of no applet which makes use of the tasks data engine. I was in
contact with the developer of ActiveWindow Control
(http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/ActiveWindow+Control?content=91258)
and he expressed interest in using the tasks data engine. However, after
looking at the code available on kde-look it seems that he is not yet
using the data engine...

I don't want to derail your plans or ideas, I'm just explaining my point
of view. Regardless, if you do decide to hack on something, I may find
the time to help you out (specifically with the tasks data engine),
although I'm quite busy these days.

Alain.