Questions about GroupManager and the lib TaskManager

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Jan 17 19:04:03 CET 2009

On Saturday 17 January 2009, Matthieu Gallien wrote:
> Hello,
> I really want to find time to contribute back to KDE because I really
> appreciate all your work. So I am trying again to do some plasma related
> contributions.
> I hope to be able to find time to work on porting the tasks data engine to
> the GroupManager and other new bits of TaskManager lib.
> Is there anybody already working on that ?
> Do you think it is a good idea to work on that ?

i'm not sure it maps to the concept of DataEngine very well to be honest,
which are meant to be multi-reader. the grouping classes in libtaskmanager
really pretty specific to the context of the consumer: what screen are you on,
should it show only what's on this desktop, etc..

some ways this might work out ok, though, is to provide "group sources" that
would publish lists of tasks that belong together, e.g.:

source = tasksByProgram
ungrouped (.. list of tasks .. )
kontact (.. list of tasks ...)
konsole (.. list of tasks ..)
etc..

where this starts to fall down, really, is when one wants to sanely mix and
match ("tasks by program name, on screen 1").

one could create a generic service that would take a set of a params, set up a
(or use an existing) source (so all consumers using the same grouping
configuration would share the same source) and return the name of it as the
result value.

manual grouping and sorting would be even more difficult to map sanely.

i think that if this work is done, it really ought to be done with a clear use
ase in mind which is done in parallel. otherwise it risks being a good amount
of work (and added complexity to the engine itself) that never gets used.

humru othro a kohnu se