4.3 feature plan

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Feb 19 01:01:54 CET 2009

On Wednesday 18 February 2009 23:21:53 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 February 2009, 0xDeadC0de wrote:
> > On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 12:13 -0700, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > > On Tuesday 17 February 2009, 0xDeadC0de wrote:
> > >

> > > what is the use case for this?
> >
> > To have panels inside any widget.  It would be fairly nice to have my
> > favorite RSS feed and my favorite comic inside the welcome widget, or
> > whatever other widget I wanted inside it.
>
> why do those belong inside the welcome widget?
>
> (extended question: why do those belong inside any other widget?)
>
> i think what we may have are valid use cases for providing structured
> layouts or arrangements of widgets, but that doesn't mean it should be done
> inside another widget.

FWIW, I'm doing stuff like that all the time :-)

The battery applet for example loads another battery applet (without the
popup) into the popup. The LionMail applet loads an applet for every email.

Not sure how that applies to containments (but it would be cool, I've already
wanted nested containments earlier, but I think we went with "it introduces
more complexity than we want" in the end.
--
sebas