4.3 feature plan

0xDeadC0de roguestar191 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 19 00:55:12 CET 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 15:21 -0700, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 February 2009, 0xDeadC0de wrote:

> > > what is the use case for this?
> >
> > To have panels inside any widget.  It would be fairly nice to have my
> > favorite RSS feed and my favorite comic inside the welcome widget, or
> > whatever other widget I wanted inside it.
>
> why do those belong inside the welcome widget?
>
> (extended question: why do those belong inside any other widget?)
>
> i think what we may have are valid use cases for providing structured layouts
> or arrangements of widgets, but that doesn't mean it should be done inside
> another widget.

putting inside the welcome widget is an example, and what I want to do
because I think it'd be cool.  My real reason is - why not?

This  opens up the potential for popupApplet+containments that you could
throw your favorite widgets inside to reduce desktop clutter, and have a
small icon in the panel to access it with.

I used the welcome as an example as that's all I've really worked on,
and I personally want my fav comics and maybe an rss feed to be
displayed inside it, and don't need the launchers (imo)  since there's
kickoff and lancelot.

I'm sure other devs could find uses for it too =)