4.3 feature plan

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Feb 19 21:20:15 CET 2009

On Wednesday 18 February 2009, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> The battery applet for example loads another battery applet (without the
> popup) into the popup.

it doesn't do so via Applet::load, however. it simply creates a new instance
of a class it already has.

you'll also note that it causes some interesting interaction problems: click
on the battery icon in the popup and start dragging ;)

what the battery really probably ought to be doing is have a battery
QGraphicsWidget and make that the only item in the Applet object itself and
then put another one of those in the popup. i looked at doing this one evening
that i was bored and realized it was more work than i felt like doing that
night ;)

> The LionMail applet loads an applet for every email.

same pattern as the battery. these should be QGraphicsWidget subclasses that
are put into an applet.

> Not sure how that applies to containments (but it would be cool, I've
> already wanted nested containments earlier, but I think we went with "it
> introduces more complexity than we want" in the end.

yes, it will cause all sorts of problems and complexity in the code. there are
ways to accomplish everything we need to without sullying the design.

humru othro a kohnu se