Question regarding folderview Flow option

Shantanu Tushar Jha jhahoneyk at
Fri Aug 21 05:19:07 CEST 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 2:18 AM, Fredrik Höglund <fredrik at> wrote:

> On Thursday 20 August 2009, Shantanu Tushar Jha wrote:
> > Recently while working on the FolderView applet, I got the question that
> why
> > isn't the user allowed to change the flow when used as a normal applet ?
> > I've observed that when folderview used as the desktop Type, the flow
> > options can be changed. But, these options can also be useful when used
> as
> > an applet imho.
> > What do you guys think? Or has this been discussed already?
> There are two reasons why that option is only available in the containment.
> The first is that the flow controls which edge of the screen the icons are
> lined up against, and I thought that option didn't make much sense
> when folderview is used as an applet, since you can resize it and move
> it to where you want it on the screen. Left-to-right or right-to-left is
> also
> decided automatically in this case depending on the user's locale.

Oh, thats what I didn't notice. If those are decided automatically using
locale its fine.

> So that option is hidden to keep the display section of the dialog box
> (which is quite large already) from being cluttered with options where
> the default should be good enough.

> The second reason is that folderview currently doesn't support showing a
> horizontal scrollbar, so if the user switches the flow to top-to-bottom,
> the user simply won't be able to access all the files in the folder when
> there are more files than will fit in the view.

I noticed this when testing the top-to-bottom flow in the applet, but
thought it might be a temporary runtime problem at that time.
Thanks for the clarifications :)