pardus plasma problems (PPP :P)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Apr 22 17:10:47 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 22 April 2009, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> - In 4.2, there's no way to set the wallpaper from outside Plasma. That's
> of course more involved, since the wallpaper plugin also needs to be
> switched to the image plugin.

not necessarily; there's no reason it couldn't be made possible to set any
wallpaper plugin + mode + source package/file.

there's also no guarantee that the image plugin would be there, either. high
chance, but no guarantee. we're back again to wanting X-Plasma-DropMimeTypes=
much like we do for applets (which also gets us part way to "drop an image on
the desktop to set the wallpaper)

> For 4.4, there's a dbus interface planned for
> this, but how can one add this functionality before that?

by working up a d-bus interface so that it exists. it wouldn't be a _ton_ of
work and would get you a lot of similar kinds of "would be nice to do from
outside of plasma while its running" kind of tings, like being able to add /
remove widgets.

see:

http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Projects/Summer_of_Code/2009/Ideas#Project:_D-
Bus_Interface

(interesting that people feel this is an important enough issue to patch
things over)

> - The Plasma panel, in some cases doesn't switch the theme's artwork to the
> translucent version. I recall there was a fix for that recently, the
> compositingEnabled signal wasn't always emitted, iirc. Probably something
> we (or the Pardus guys) want to backport. I'm not sure which patch that
> was, maybe r916823. Does anyone know this?

http://websvn.kde.org/?view=rev&revision=916823

that one is about watching for theme changes, not watching for composite
changes.

what you want to look into is KSelectionWatcher as used in
kdelibs/plasma/theme.cpp (look for compositeWatcher) ... it sometimes works
and sometimes doesn't, seems to be some problems in the KSelectionWatcher
class, but i haven't had a chance to delve in an debug it.

> - When symlinking /usr/ (for example to /oldusr/), the wallpapers in the
> preview drop dropdown show up twice. Any idea what's going on here?

because KStandardDirs doesn't check for symlinks, and /oldusr apparently in
the paths checked by KStandardDirs ... the relevant code in plasma is:

    QStringList themes = dirs.findAllResources("data",
"desktoptheme/*/metadata.desktop",
                                               KStandardDirs::NoDuplicates);

from workspace/plasma/shells/desktop/backgrounddialog.cpp
humru othro a kohnu se