Tool tips - again

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Apr 14 17:42:07 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 14 April 2009, Emdek wrote:
> On Tuesday 14-04-2009 01:17:05 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> >> the

> >> No, currently I'm not, but I should (I want to move to standard tool
> >> tips
> >> so I'm not touching this part of code now ;-)). So if the text is tool
> >> long
> >> the we could use that kind of gradient like in Tasks applet and the show
> >> full text in tool tip for tool tip
> >
> > sounds good. maybe we don't even need the tooltip? in practice just the
> > starting bit (as wide as the thumbnail itself) would be enough?
>
> Right, maybe we should allow to make it maximum two rows or one is enough
> (and it is easier to do)?
>
> >> (my friend that works on STasks applet
> >> proposed marque animation for it). ;-)
> >
> > ew.. maybe on mouse over? but certainly not as a default. i can just
> > imagine
> > the visual effect of having 3 or more dancing strings :)
>
> Yes, of course for mouse over, but I'm not sure if I want to see in my tool
> tip move other than from live preview of window with video or something (by
> the way, maybe tool tips in Tasks applet shouldn't auto hide, at least when
> we have previews?). ;-)

> >> ;-)

> >> And what about these (mostly activation for WId, with used mouse button,
> >> rest of them is much less useful I think)?
> >
> > ah, right, ... hm. we could have two signals:
> >
> > void activate(const KUrl &); // the common, easy case
> > void activated(cost KUrl &, Qt::MouseButton, Qt::ModifierKey);
>
> And information about WId etc. would be passed as KUrl or I'm missing
> something?

yes, i think we'd just pass it as a specially crafted url, e.g. window://###

mildly silly but effective ;) it'll only be for in-application use and not for
passing around between applications, so it's ok.

> ;-) I think that it is better to have one signal with more
> parameters, if someone don't need more information he will just use
> Q_UNUSED in slot connected to it.

sure ...

> > it's not overly difficult; if you're up for it, i can help you through
> > it e.g.
> > on irc ... if not, i can try and work this part out for you.
>
> Talk on IRC could be useful (but eight hours difference between timezones
> could be a problem ;-)).

i'm often there at odd (for my timezone) hours

> And I'm not sure if I could finish this before
> hard freeze (I'm not familiar with event filters). So maybe I'll better
> focus on these smaller tasks, like preview glowing on hover (maybe using
> animation code from ComboBox), image preview (probably renaming private
> WindowPreview class to PreviewWidget or something like that and adding
> method to set pixmap, maybe setPixmapToPreview()?), try to add possibility
> to show tool tip centered (setCentered(bool) for ToolTipContent? or maybe
> more generic setAlignment(Qt::Alignment)?) and experiment with window
> titles for multiple previews.

sure thing .. it all needs to get done :)

humru othro a kohnu se