Tool tips - again

Emdek emdeck at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 11:45:43 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 14-04-2009 01:17:05 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday 13 April 2009, Emdek wrote:

>> the

>> > and for really long titles? i suppose you just elide the text?
>>
>> No, currently I'm not, but I should (I want to move to standard tool
>> tips
>> so I'm not touching this part of code now ;-)). So if the text is tool
>> long
>> the we could use that kind of gradient like in Tasks applet and the show
>> full text in tool tip for tool tip
>
> sounds good. maybe we don't even need the tooltip? in practice just the
> starting bit (as wide as the thumbnail itself) would be enough?

Right, maybe we should allow to make it maximum two rows or one is enough (and it is easier to do)?

>> (my friend that works on STasks applet
>> proposed marque animation for it). ;-)
>
> ew.. maybe on mouse over? but certainly not as a default. i can just
> imagine
> the visual effect of having 3 or more dancing strings :)

Yes, of course for mouse over, but I'm not sure if I want to see in my tool tip move other than from live preview of window with video or something (by the way, maybe tool tips in Tasks applet shouldn't auto hide, at least when we have previews?). ;-)

>> ;-)
>> >
>> > hoverEnter(const KUrl &)
>> > hoverLeave(const KUrl &)
>> > activated(const KUrl &)
>>
>> And what about these (mostly activation for WId, with used mouse button,
>> rest of them is much less useful I think)?
>
> ah, right, ... hm. we could have two signals:
>
> void activate(const KUrl &); // the common, easy case
> void activated(cost KUrl &, Qt::MouseButton, Qt::ModifierKey);

And information about WId etc. would be passed as KUrl or I'm missing something? ;-)
I think that it is better to have one signal with more parameters, if someone don't need more information he will just use Q_UNUSED in slot connected to it.

>> > activated(ToolTipWidget, MouseButton) <- allows to trigger action for
>> > given widget using left, middle, right mouse button, but only single
>> > click but are we really need double clicking here? Three possibilities
>> > should be enough for start. activated(WId, MouseButton) <- the same as
>> > before, but for window previews, especially for multiple previews.
>> > activated(KUrl, MouseButton) <- for urls (maybe QString instead of
>> KUrl,
>> > I don't know...).
>>
>> I'm not sure if working on signals part isn't too big task for me (I
>> need
>
> it's not overly difficult; if you're up for it, i can help you through
> it e.g.
> on irc ... if not, i can try and work this part out for you.

Talk on IRC could be useful (but eight hours difference between timezones could be a problem ;-)).
And I'm not sure if I could finish this before hard freeze (I'm not familiar with event filters).
So maybe I'll better focus on these smaller tasks, like preview glowing on hover (maybe using animation code from ComboBox), image preview (probably renaming private WindowPreview class to PreviewWidget or something like that and adding method to set pixmap, maybe setPixmapToPreview()?), try to add possibility to show tool tip centered (setCentered(bool) for ToolTipContent? or maybe more generic setAlignment(Qt::Alignment)?) and experiment with window titles for multiple previews.

>> Maybe
>> this should be added to tasks list on techbase (soft freeze is coming)?
>
> yes, it should be added there ...

Ok, so I'll add this.