Tool tips - again

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Apr 12 18:18:01 CEST 2009

On Sunday 12 April 2009, Emdek wrote:
> - add activated(KUrl) signal for description (or more signals like
> discussed earlier);

should be fine; URLs could be associated with the thumbnails as well ...

> - raise, iconify etc. window after left clicking on
> preview;

i wonder if this is best left to the item that the tooltip is shown for, e.g.
the tasks widget? or do we _always_ want raise/iconify/etc to occur when there
are one of these tooltips shown?

> - close window on middle click on preview (I'm not sure about this);

i'd prefer not; destructive actions on "magical" gestures aren't a great idea.
perhaps one more argument to leave this up to the tooltip'd widget?

> - show window when hovering over preview (I'm not sure, but there is KWin
> highlight window effect, maybe could be used for this, but I don't know how
> it works);

yes; at least optionally. again, this is perhaps best left up to the host
widget? if so, we'll need hovered() as well as clicked() signals for the
previews

> - change look of frame when hovering (probably needs additional
> theme element);

probably just use the same "button glow" used in the plasma buttons?

> - add possibility to set image for previewing (with frame
> like for windows);

yes

> - show titles of windows when showing multiple previews;

will this fit nicely? look nice? could we do it with QToolTips on the
previews?

humru othro a kohnu se