Tool tips - again

Emdek emdeck at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 23:47:14 CEST 2009

On Sunday 12-04-2009 18:18:01 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Sunday 12 April 2009, Emdek wrote:
>> - raise, iconify etc. window after left clicking on
>> preview;
>
> i wonder if this is best left to the item that the tooltip is shown for,
> e.g.
> the tasks widget? or do we _always_ want raise/iconify/etc to occur when
> there
> are one of these tooltips shown?

Ok, so plan "A", only activated / clicked signals.

>> - show window when hovering over preview (I'm not sure, but there is
>> KWin
>> highlight window effect, maybe could be used for this, but I don't know
>> how
>> it works);
>
> yes; at least optionally. again, this is perhaps best left up to the host
> widget? if so, we'll need hovered() as well as clicked() signals for the
> previews

Ok, we need hoverEnter() and hoverLeave() (using enterEvent() and leaveEvent() of widget).

>> - change look of frame when hovering (probably needs additional
>> theme element);
>
> probably just use the same "button glow" used in the plasma buttons?

Right, good idea.

>> - show titles of windows when showing multiple previews;
>
> will this fit nicely? look nice? could we do it with QToolTips on the
> previews?

I'm using it already in my applet and it looks good I think:

http://kde-look.org/CONTENT/content-pre1/99737-1.png

I'm not sure if tool tips for tool tips are good idea here, I also prefer to see all titles at once, to faster find needed task (I'm not a fan of grouping, but when you are working on task manager applet then you should test all features).
It could be very useful especially when using manual grouping, with different applications.
By the way, I'm currently using also fall back in case of no Composite for groups, tool tip shows then group name and list of titles in vertical list (under main text).

And what about giving possibility to center tool tip over widget?
Tool tips aligned to left edge of widget looks strange in some cases (for example dock like task managers).

And still I don't know which object should emit these signals.

So now we need clear list of needed signals and then start to work. ;-)