Tool tips ideas

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Apr 3 23:15:58 CEST 2009

On Friday 03 April 2009, Emdek wrote:
> > well, the subtitle can actually be html, so there can be a quite good
> > level of
> > customization (look at the pager tooltip for instance)
>
> Yes, I know that, but this helps "only" in making look them very custom (in
> sense of appearance), but doesn't help so much in making them behave
> different (for example add actions to them, with icons, but maybe someone
> would want to add for example more complex widget in own application)...

what are the use cases?

icons are not a problem. actions could be, but then we could probably quite
easily add a way to get notified of link clicks from tooltips or even allow
one to send in a list of QActions in ToolTipContent.

what we don't want however are random things inserted into these tips because
then:

* we can not guarantee consistency
* we can not easily change how toolitps are displayed (due to external
assumptions about them)
* we can not provide non-visual tooltips mechanisms (think about the
possibility of showing tips on a remote system or display, for instance)

so.. instead of starting with a "solution", let's start with some use cases
and figure out how to fulfill them.

> >(to not talking about the style, since all
> > widgets
> > added here should custom paint with the plasma style, since tooltips are
> > qwidgets, so no plasma widgets in here)
>
> Yes, but it is easier to make widget pretty (for example using theme
> elements or at least colors) than making own tool tips that don't differ
> from these in Plasma (mainly because of that move animation). ;-)

it's not just the move animation. never, ever assume that what you see right
now is what it will be like tomorrow or on a different type of computer
system. so even if these implementations managed to get the moving animation
working through some magical line of code, it would still be wrong. :)

humru othro a kohnu se