power management settings mockup

Celeste Lyn Paul celeste at kde.org
Sun Sep 14 00:29:20 CEST 2008

On Saturday 13 September 2008 09:36:21 Riccardo Iaconelli wrote:
> On Saturday 13 September 2008 02:30:27 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > i'd like to see Riccardo's proposal on this list, we can discuss the
> > benefits or lack thereof of it, see who is willing to actually write code
> > for it (if anyone) and move on from there.
>
> There we go, sorry, I took a while, but I had to work on it with a real
> canavas. The icons (especially brightness icons) are temprorary, as you
> might guess. I just borrowed some from the theme. In place of the 'java'
> icons there will be profile icons. This is the mockup for the panel popup,
> on planar contianments there will be just the 'status' part (above the
> line) with a little togglable button (label for it? "options..."?)
> bottom-right which will slide out the configuration options and will make
> the plasmoid look like the mockup for the panel (plus the toggled button).
>
> http://files.ruphy.org/rect65593.png
>
> If you have any question or want to give me feedback on IRC, I'd be happy
> to answer them or I'd appreciate to get it.

I like the use of the batter icons, but i dont think we need to label them so
much.  Maybe a Battery label above the icons, the icons centered with the
percentages below:

Battery [level? power? anything?]:
    _    _
   |||  |||
   |||  |||
   80%  100%

I'm not sure a progress bar is the best way to show cpu frequency (if a cpu
can be throttled).  It doesnt look like you can configure it from here, so it
is purely informational?  If that is the case, I think a written description
would be better: High/Full, Mid, Low ... 100% 60% 30% ... or whatever.

What are the brown things under performance?  They look like coffee beans :)
Are they buttons to toggle the current profile?

I think the icons should match on the brightness meter.  instead of a sun it
should be a lightbulb.  I think it still needs a label.

What does disabling warnings do?  Also, similar to the discussion we had with
Sebas, that might be better as [X] Show warnings instead of [ ] Disable
warnings. It should be in sentence case with the first letter capitalized

More should be capitalized

Now that I see this in the plasma style, i agree with chani that we probably
dont need an undo due to the presentation and limited functionality. however,
as more of these popups contain more functionality, we'll have to be sure the
user can make changes and not make mistakes if they are distracted and
misconfigure or reconfigure something.

--
Celeste Lyn Paul
KDE Usability Project