applets descriptions

Gerhard Gappmeier gerhard.gappmeier at ascolab.com
Thu Sep 4 17:46:28 CEST 2008

> you're mixing levels of the taxonomy. all Plasmoids are Widgets, but not
> all Widgets are Plasmoids. HTML/CSS can also be Widgets; Google Gadgets are
> Widgets; MacOS X Dashboard Widgets are Widgets, too.

Not sure if I'm mixing it? ;-)
I know that it is possible (or at least should be) to run google gadgets and
mac os x widgets on Plasma. Put these are also just technical details.

From the user's point of view this should be the same.
So they just run a "plasmoid" or however you want to call it.
Not matter if it's a native C++ plasmoid, a python script
or a Mac OS X Widget that's wrapped to run on Plasma.

But as far as I understood you between your lines you interpret it this way:
Widget: every gadget you can add to the desktop (or to other containers)
Plasmoid: the native C++ widgets

Also the dialog says: "Add Widgets..."
So it seems that this is the term to use, right?