applets descriptions

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Sep 4 18:28:47 CEST 2008

On Thursday 04 September 2008, Gerhard Gappmeier wrote:
> > you're mixing levels of the taxonomy. all Plasmoids are Widgets, but not
> > all Widgets are Plasmoids. HTML/CSS can also be Widgets; Google Gadgets
> > are Widgets; MacOS X Dashboard Widgets are Widgets, too.
>
> Not sure if I'm mixing it? ;-)
> I know that it is possible (or at least should be) to run google gadgets
> and mac os x widgets on Plasma. Put these are also just technical details.
>
> From the user's point of view this should be the same.
> So they just run a "plasmoid" or however you want to call it.

no, they run a Widget.

> Not matter if it's a native C++ plasmoid, a python script
> or a Mac OS X Widget that's wrapped to run on Plasma.

it does matter, for a number of reasons. for one, if someone gives you a mac
widget, the user needs to let plasma know at installation time that it's a mac
widget. not all the widget systems out there are designed well enough to make
autodetection simple or even possible.

for another, plasmoids offer additional flexibility and control, such as via
theming, that we just can't offer non-plasmoid widgets.

> But as far as I understood you between your lines you interpret it this
> way: Widget: every gadget you can add to the desktop (or to other
> containers) Plasmoid: the native C++ widgets

almost.. Plasmoid: a widget (regardless of language authored in) that uses the
libplasma API.

> Also the dialog says: "Add Widgets..."
> So it seems that this is the term to use, right?

yes.
humru othro a kohnu se